Leadership is perhaps most simply defined as ‘achieving results through people’. Great leaders are able to meet the needs of the organisation (i.e. achieving results) by harnessing the motivation and engagement of their people (i.e. through people). When leaders focus on one of these priorities at the expense of the other, they become largely ineffective, even having a negative impact on results. We have all seen the leader that focuses on results but forgets that these results are achieved through people. Equally, we have seen leaders who value being a friend to those they manage more than the results required from them as a leader. The role of leader is so critical because it is the point where the organisation’s goals meet the people who deliver results.
Having an understanding of what motivates people in a work context is a great starting point for being able to build employee engagement. This will help your people to focus on delivering results for your organisation, while also having rewarding and motivating roles.
Andrew conducts standard or customised leadership workshops, ranging from one hour to full day sessions. These interactive and engaging sessions cover the questions your leaders are asking:
- What makes a great leader?
- What motivates people at work?
- How do I build an effective team?
- How do I create a great place to work?
- How do I hire the best people?
- Which leadership styles work best?
- How do I build resilience in myself and others?
- How do I build a diverse and inclusive workforce?
Client examples: Developed and delivered a resilience and well-being program for over 40 employees. Involved regular two-hour workshops across two years. Included use of learning groups and online resource with videos, books, articles and materials to support learning. Designed and ran a two hour conference session for 30 business managers on how to select and retain great employees. Facilitated a full day strategic planning retreat for 20 key employees.
Leaders typically achieve results through teams. An effective team can help boost productivity through collaboration and support. But leading a diverse team can be tricky. How do we make the most of the diversity in our teams, while also focusing on results?
Andrew helps team members to build their awareness of themselves and others. His team workshops are engaging while also focused on business results. You might like to think of it as fun with a purpose. Building connections within the team can help the leader to get the best from the team.
Andrew’s team workshops range from one hour to full day sessions. Sessions often include the use of tools like the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and other team-role questionnaires to help ground the session. They include a combination of theory and practical exercises that involve the team working together. These workshops cover:
- How do people differ?
- How can I tailor my approach to the needs of our customers?
- What are the unique strengths that I bring to the team?
- What are the benefits of having a diverse team?
- How can we work more effectively together?
- How do I build my resilience?
- What are the implications for how we communicate and make decisions?
Client example: Worked with a team of 24 managers using the Myers-Briggs Type Profile to help understand personality differences and unique contributions to the team. The half-day session included a number of fun and practical exercises to illustrate the main points. The session was part of a broader manager retreat so was customised to incorporate themes that the leader covered in the remainder of the retreat.
The topics Andrew covers in his workshops can also be tailored for your next conference. Andrew has experience both chairing and speaking at conferences on a broad range of topics. In addition to client conferences, Andrew’s conference experience includes:
- National Leadership Psychology Conference (Melbourne 2012) - chairperson
- National Leadership Psychology Conference (Melbourne 2013) - chairperson and speaker
- Talent Management Innovation Forum (Melbourne 2013) - chairperson and speaker
- Loyalty Summit (Mumbai 2015) - keynote speaker, panel moderator
- National Leadership Psychology Conference (Melbourne 2015) - speaker
- CMA Conference (Gold Coast 2016) - speaker
- APM Conference (Sunshine Coast 2017) - speaker
Whether it’s 10 people or 300, Andrew’s enthusiastic, engaging and entertaining style is sure to connect well with your conference attendees.